Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 24 09:04:36 AEST 1989

In article <2910 at infmx.UUCP> dror at infmx.UUCP (Dror Matalon) writes:
>	I was thinking of buying a no name clone running at 25Mhz with 4 Megs
>and a 120M RLL Seagate drive. Do I need to worry about competability issues?
>How do I find out what drive and what controller I can use with what unix
>(Before I buy all this stuff).

I helped my brother to set up a similar system to run 386/ix. A DTK
20MHz + 5M + Seagate 120M RLL.  Installing was easy. It needed very
little adjustments from the defaults. I was careful to buy only hardware
in Interactives list of "approved" hardware. It is a good idea to
decide first on whose UNIX you will be using (Interactive, SCO or
Everex) and stick to recommended hardware. The resulting system was
very satisfactory, it certainly beats the hell of this 3B2 I am using
right now.