ESIX Networks and X

Larry Snyder akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP
Tue Dec 5 22:59:25 AEST 1989

>what factors will change this.  The ESIX X now supports the Vega Vram cards,

>Paridise 16 bit VGA cards, Orchid's 16bit chards, and Tatung 16 bit VGA
>and Everex's VGA cards. It also supports 800x600 and 1024x764 resoulutions

Do you know if the ATI board is supported?

> As for the networking I'm useing NFS. It's Wollogangs and it's sold as
>an addition to the ESIX package. It dosn't have support for yellow pages,
>but it does work with PC-NFS. I'm running it connected to a 386SX machine

Are you networking to a DOS machine or another Unix machine?

>  I like ESIX manuals better than the Prentice Hall books. Three ring type
>binders. Looks like they where done with Jetroff. They have done a better
>job on the installation notes than the previous version.

I assume these are the manuals that they sell extra for $275 - the
"technical reference set"

>become more reasonable in price. Rumor has it rev D will have the fast file
>system.  About benchmarks, I ran it on a Xenix 386 machine running 33mhz
>with ESDI drives (and the latest 386 Xenix OS) and my ESIX system with

There are marketing their fast file system in the lit that came in
yesterday's mail.

>All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
>my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.

I agree.  My hats off to Everex which looks like a excellent option.  Are
they available for support via a uucp address?

larry at nstar -or- ....!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry