ESIX joys!! (?!)

Uri Blumenthal uri at morannon.watson.ibm.com
Thu Nov 16 08:23:21 AEST 1989

---------------------

> 	Today at Comdex (in Las Vegas) I saw in person the latest version of
> ESIX System V 3.2. From what I saw it was a very nice port of UNIX. It was
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, have you ever seen an "ugly" port?      ^^^^^

> running under X with no apparent slowness. The sales person said that
ESIX may
   Could you be more specific  please? What did they show you?
   And, which is more important - what hardware was it running on?
   386/33MHz plus memory cache, plus Weitek or 80387 plus 16 or
   20MB of RAM - you know... If you can afford that - you
   may as well buy a little workstation-screamer (:-).

> be coming out with Version/Release D before releasing 5.4. At ~$600
for a full
> blown system I will more than likely be buying this version of UNIX.
>
> David A. Gonzales

Couple of questions. First: did you see ESIX Color X-Windows, or
black-and-white
version? The Color one is ABSOLUTELY unusable (slow). The operating
system itself,
well, as others... No drag or boost noticeable.

Now. Who told you it will cost $600 ?! All the ads Everex publishes for ESIX
say $836 (or something around that , but definitely more than $800). And you
say "full blown system". Well, when I bought their Release A, it didn't have
the features it was supposed to (according to their advertisements, and those
pieces of manual I got). So I had to pay for an upgrade to Release B, which
had bridged the gap a little. The funniest thing was - they were thinking for
about three weeks, wether I can get the upgrade, or should pay for the new
system as if I were buying the new one (imagine, it was less than a month
after I bought so-called Release A!).

I also had some problems reporting bugs (needless to say I haven't got any
fixes :-), they gave me an e-mail address, but e-mail goes there as in the
trash-can (nothing comes back, and no response :-).

Otherwise, the system is not bad. Well, it costed me about $350 (plus $70
upgrade) - so to have a "full-blown UNIX" for $420 - should I complain? (:-)