3.5" floppy for 386ix

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.uucp
Thu Nov 16 15:34:42 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov15.150751.4003 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <4436 at gaboon.UUCP>, asv at gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:
>>      I'd like to add a 3.5" floppy drive to my 386/ix system as fd1.  Would
>>      someone please mail me the mknod command lines to make both the 720 and
>>      1.44 meg devices please.

>This kind of info is well documented under fd(7) in the manual.
>PS. You should already have the devices in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.

I went thru this myself a couple of months ago.  fd(7) doesn't say
word one about what minor numbers are needed for the floppies, but
there is a table of minor numbers on page 104 of the 386/ix Maintenance
Procedures manual.  Not all of the device nodes were present on
my system (was at 2.0.1 at the time).  I couldn't find any better
info in the 2.0.2 release notes when they came.

I pieced the following table together from the info in the maintenance
manual and the floppy header file.  I would love to have a complete
table, though.  And also, somebody please tell me why the SA
scripts call the 3.5 inch floppy "f05qt" -- where did the "5"
come from?  These names are totally bizarre, I made my own names
that I can remember: /dev/fd0, /dev/fh0 for DS/DD and DS/HD.

		7,6,5,4		   3	     2,1       0
	+-----------------------+-------+-----------+------+
	|	FORMAT		| SIDES | PARTITION | UNIT |
	+-----------------------+-------+-----------+------+

FORMAT
0	0	High Density, 15 sectors, 5.25"
16	1	Double Density, 9 sectors, 5.25"
32	2	Double Density, 8 sectors, 5.25"
48	3	Single Density, 8 sectors, 5.25"
	4	***unknown***
80	5	High Density, 18 sectors, 3.5" (1.44MB)
96	6	Quad Density, 3.5" (720KB)
	7-15	***unknown***

SIDES
0	0	Two
8	1	One

PARTITION
0	0	Whole
2	1	First Cylinder only
4	2	Except First Cylinder

UNIT
0	0	Drive 0
1	1	Drive 1

-Rick
--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your