Why no job control in 386/ix?

overhead news at haddock.ima.isc.com
Wed Nov 22 09:30:55 AEST 1989

In article <124 at dumbcat.UUCP> marc at dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
>In article <1989Nov19.180741.8950 at tolerant.com> leach at tolerant.com (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>    I once complained about the absence of '-r' on the System V cp command
>    and was told, in efect, that in that context, '-r' was an offence against
>    Decency and the Natural Order of Things.

'cp' didn't get '-r' at UCB until after 'rcp' was introduced (which has
always had '-r', as far as I know).  Somehow, it's what you want, most
of the time.  Under SysV,
	% find . -print | cpio -ocB | (cd otherdir ; cpio -icdmB)
seems to work.  I know, cpio has an option to just copy the directory
tree without the other invocation of cpio, but cpio has lots of options...

>As long as we are offending nature how about getting really kinky and asking
>for a
>	chmod user.group file ...
>such as I do on my BSDish sun at work all the time.  I know the litany...
>wait for V.4... wait for V.4...

Curiously, I wrote something to do that for BSD before it had it.
For some reason it doesn't quite work under SysV, else maybe I'd post
it.  I wrote it because i figured it was quicker than:
	% find . -exec chown foo '{}' -exec chgrp bar '{}'
(This predates xargs).

I predict that ISC will jump on the SVr4 bandwagon at the
earliest oportunity.  For my money, I'd look for one of the last
releases of SVr3.2, with POSIX, job control and manual pages.  At
least this technology is getting stable.  (There's always at
least one more bug.)  I predict that SVr4 will become as stable,
fast and functional as, say 386/ix 2.2 (released "soon") in 1993,
if ever.  For one thing, SVr4 has the Berkeley Fast File System.
Vendors will look elsewhere for improvements.  Judging by Sun's
386i system, it will be real slow.

Stephen Uitti
suitti at haddock.ima.isc.com
DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my own.  In fact, they bear little
resemblance to any official opinions anywhere.