Equinox multi port boards

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Wed Nov 29 08:42:12 AEST 1989

In article <458 at gallium.UUCP>, garyb at gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:

> about this board from other people.  I was also impressed after visiting
> Equinox at the recent UNIX Expo. They had a demo showing all 24 ports sending
> continuous screenfuls of text to 24 terminals at 38,400 baud.  There was no
> visible delay between the terminal on the first and last ports and the whole
> thing took up hardly any CPU time.

I'm impressed, too.  Enough at least to ask a few more questions about this
board. :-)

> I was also able to get my Trailblazer to do UUCP on one of these ports.  I'm
> using SCO HoneyDanBer and their supplied dialer program.  I gave up a long
> time ago trying to get a Telebit to work on other smart i/o boards.  I

My Telebits work with the Bell Tech (ah, excuse me, Intel) ACE board in this
system, but I didn't get the throughput improvement that I though I would.
The number of interrupts caused during a UUCP transfer did decrease
dramatically, but the actual speed of the transfers only incresed slightly.

> One last question;  Will the mouse work under VP/ix on one of these ports and
> can you send me your cable configuration?

Here's another VP/ix question:  will this board let me run VP/ix from a
serial terminal like the Wyse60, which runs in PC mode during the VP/ix
session?

Last question (for now anyway):  what physical attachment does the board use?
The picture in Unix World looks like it uses a cable that connects to the
back of the card and then (I suppose) to a breakout box.  If this is basically
it, then 1) how long is the cable and 2) what kind of jacks are used in the
breakout box?

I knew I'd have another question:  I heard some mention a 12-port version.
Is this a product yet and how much is it, or when will it be a product and
how much will it be?

I'll quit asking now.  Any, and all, answers will be deeply appreciated.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request at tiamat.fsc.com" ***