ESIX woes. (serial performance)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Wed Nov 15 05:28:27 AEST 1989

What TCP/IP does ESIX come with?

In article <612 at aablue.UUCP> jb at aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
[serial port performance really amazingly bad with TCP up]

> The ESIX people have been of no help; surprise. Is there something in
> the TCP stuff I need to look for?

What run level did you install the TCP at? I always follow convention and
put networking at run level 3. Then I edit /etc/conf/init.d/whatever to
set the default run level to 2. That way you can see the effect of active
TCP instead of passive stuff. I have a 'neton' login, no password, that does
a telinit 3.

With Belltech/Intel V.3.2u, with Lachman TCP/IP: when I have TCP running
the performance of the serial port drops dramatically, and I get about
1 in 50 characters lost even at typing speeds.

> I know squat about networking
> software, but I learn fast if I know where to look. Could the problem
> go away when I connect it to the office net?

Hasn't for me. You might try playing with the run level as I suggested.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net> <peter at sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.
	-- Quentin Johnson quent at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu