ESIX has a bug.

John B Scalia jb at aablue.UUCP
Thu Nov 16 01:02:46 AEST 1989

Hello, a short while ago a posted about a problem I had encountered with
ESIX's HDB uucp after I loaded its TCP/IP software. Thanks to all those
who responded and made suggestions. Yesterday, the ESIX tech folks did
respond about this problem. (Yeah!) They had confirmed that I wasn't
imagining the problem and that there is something happening with either
sendmail or rwho under TCP/IP, ie. a bug. Apparently, now that they know
about it, they've said they'll try to get it fixed.

In case others might be considering ESIX, the problem caused HDB i/o to
drop by a factor 8 when TCP/IP was loaded. HDB did NOT fail altogether!
Running Uutry with -x = 9 show that packets were either getting corrupted or
not being acknowledged after receipt. Removing TCP/IP and making no
other changes, either hardware or software, made the problem disappear.
BTW, the problem was much more aggravated when ESIX was receiving.

All in all, I'd still recommend ESIX. The technician I spoke with said
that it did take a little while to duplicate the problem I had and then
figure out why it was occuring. (BTW, they DO have net access, but it
seems that they mostly lurk silently, ie. they still prefer voice calls.)

jb at aablue
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	(John B. Scalia)

Just a little more nonsense to clutter up the net.