TCP-IP over X.25 on 6386E UNIX System

~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Wed Nov 8 06:09:02 AEST 1989

In article <5053 at cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1 at cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
>Hi ---
>
>I would like to run TCP-IP between a 3B2/600 and a 6386E [both under UNIX
>System V].  To be more specific, the two systems are about 1500 miles
>apart, and are interconnected by a 9600 baud private line equipped with
>synchronous modems at each end.  Performance is not an issue at this time.
>I have found reference to an X.25 "spigot"
>for TCP-IP on the 3B2 end using the SPSC board (is this some derivative
>of the ISC board?)  However, I've got no information yet on its companion
>hardware/software on the 6386E end (we do have the AT&T X.25 card for the
>6386E already, along with the 3B2 ISC card).  Can anyone advise, comment,
>or otherwise shed some light on this?

The SPSC card for the 3B2 stands for Special Purpose Synchronous
Controller, and it is ONLY usefull for use with TCP/IP.  For instance,
normally you would purchase the card and a copy of the standard
distribution of our TCP/IP software, and you'd be in business if you
just wanted to link 3B2's.  In contrast the ISC card (Intelligent Serial
Controller) provides a low level interface the X.25, as well as
libraries of low level and session level system calls.  The ISC card
does not provide or work with our implementation of TCP/IP.  It comes with
several sample PADs that may or may not implement what you want to do
under X.25.  The SPSC and ISC are not related, and aren't very similar
as far as architecture goes; the SPSC has more memory, and can run at
speeds up to 64K bps with a V.35 interface, it is also orderable with
an RS 232 interface (the ISC is limitted to a 19.2 RS 232 interface).

AT&T OEM's the SPSC card from Advanced Computer Communications (ACC),
their number is (805) 963 - 9431 (Santa Barbara, CA).  They might
have a version of their hardware and software for AT bus machines.
As far as I know AT&T has no plans for a companion product to the SPSC
on the 6386 (we do offer the X.25 interface though).

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support