Multiplexing print and data on remote dialups

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Tue Nov 28 21:17:35 AEST 1989

Hi there,
	We have a SCO Xenix 386 system with a Stallion intelligent
multi-port card.  One of the nice features of the Stallion is
Attached Printer Support (APS).  This allows you to set up a PC
or dumb terminal as a remote workstation with a local printer,
with the print stream being multiplexed with the data.

This is accomplished by using an ESC sequence which turns on
or off printing, e.g. the ANSI ESC[4i and ESC[5i I think.
It does this by time slicing, introducing the print data
from your spooler at a rate set by the user to match the
actual throughput of their printing.  The beauty of this is
that the user can spool their files in the normal way, and
use LPDEST to specify the remote printer, while they carry
on with their applications with a barely noticeable response
time degradation.

This works fine under SCO Xenix, and although I haven't tested
it, I assume it will work under Interactive UNIX (386/ix).
The problem is, our client has now decided to purchase an
HP9000/825, running HP/UX (version 7 I think).  So how do
we get this functionality with HP/UX?  The local HP Response
Center think it's too hard, so how about the net.gurus?

I guess we need to procude the source for a tty device driver
and maybe hack in our own time slicing.  I don't think Stallion
would part with their proprietary code (huh, guys?  willya? ;-),
so has anyone done this, who is willing to share it, or at least
tell me the best (simplest, quickest, cheapest) way to implement.

echo "thanks" >/dev/future

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul