Default rules for make

David Kozinn david at monymsys.uucp
Wed Nov 8 14:38:00 AEST 1989

>From somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, I seem to remember that
there's some way to specify what some of the rules are that make uses. I know
that in the absence of a [Mm]akefile, there are a set of rules that are used
to determine how to build a program. The default set of rules defines
something like :
	.c.o:
		$(CC) ..... blah blah

Here's the problem: I'm running Microport Sys V/386 and using the Green Hills
C compiler. I would prefer that instead of the default value of "cc" being
used for the $CC macro that gcc be used instead. For the time being, when I
make something I've done something like "make CC=gcc foobar", which works just
fine, but is a minor annoyance. I've looked around for a makefile in some
place logical (like /etc or /usr/lib) but can't find one. Aside from creating
an alias (or equivalent) for make, is there some simple way that I can change
these defaults? Thanks.
--
David Kozinn            | UUCP:      {rutgers | uunet}!cbmvax!cgh!monymys!david
MONY Financial Services	| UUCP:      ...!rutgers!princeton!mccc!monymsys!david
Glenpointe Center West  | Internet:  cgh!monymsys!david at manta.pha.pa.us
Mail Drop 75-14         | GEnie:     D.KOZINN
Teaneck, NJ 07666-6888  | Telephone: +1-201-907-6990