ESIX woes. (serial performance)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Nov 18 00:09:02 AEST 1989

In article <862 at pmafire.UUCP>, dave at pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) writes:
> In article <1989Nov15.133059.3330 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> >In article <6965 at ficc.uu.net>, peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >> [serial port performance really amazingly bad with TCP up]
> >>
> >> With Belltech/Intel V.3.2u, with Lachman TCP/IP: when I have TCP running
> >> the performance of the serial port drops dramatically, and I get about
> >> 1 in 50 characters lost even at typing speeds.
> >
> [Conor say 386/IX is similar]

I did not say 386/ix was similar.  I said:

	I am running 386/ix with TCP, NFS, X, etc.  and have no problems with
	serial port performance with the networking up or not.  I do have an
	intelligent serial port card which may be the reason.

Which in other words says that I do not have the same problem.

> I'm running Bell Tech 3.2 (NOT 3.2u, I'm waiting for that) with Lachman
> TCP/IP, NFS, X and both a regular serial port and a Bell Tech ACE card;
> I have yet to see any slowdown yet that can't be attributed to a 16MHz
> '386 and only 4 megs of RAM. I've got an ENET586 card, for what it's
> worth.

However both my system and yours use an intelligent serial card for serial
communications and this may be the key.  The original posters did not indicate
the kind of serial port they were using, but I would bet that it is the
standard dump port.