SYS V R4 - When will it be released for Generic 386 boxes?

Gerry Swetsky lisbon at vpnet.UUCP
Sun Nov 5 18:00:12 AEST 1989

> EE TIMES, 30 Oct 1989, page 1 indicates that the generic port
> of UNIX System V.4/386 and /486 will be available soon...
> AT&T/Intel reportedly plan to demo it at UNIX EXPO.

    If it was there, I didn't see it.

> BTW,
>   System V Release 4 is upwards compatible with V.3.2 and also adds
>   the following (again according to EE Times):

    You left one out - Standard shell is to be ksh!  HOORAY!

    I wouldn't look for this product anytime soon.  Interactive plans a
    new release though - Release 2.2.  This WON'T be ATT V.4, but an
    interim release.  I couldn't get anyone to tell me the reason for
    the release or what all it will contain.  Interactive's V.4 package
    will be labelled 486/ix unless they change their minds.  NOTE - the
    486 is to refer to release V.4 and not the 486 chip!

    I look for them to change their minds regarding this confusing
    labelling!