SCO UNIX Development

Jon Zeeff zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
Mon Nov 20 12:02:22 AEST 1989

>>>  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
>>>upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
>>>other people find that news bogs the machine?
>>
>>Not any more.  Get C News + the various speedups and NICE changes I've done
>>and you don't even notice when news is running.
>
>Sorry, you missed the point here.  I wrote the article about there
>being a problem on SCO UNIX when news was running.  The point was not
>that news was a problem undex UNIX, the point was that anything that
>is extremely disk intensive causes a problem.  You only solve a small
>part of the problem by making news more efficient.  What happens when

Oh, so disk i/o is your problem.  Then a better version of news will
help to some extent since it copies things around less.  If you can't
improve your system (with, for example, a new disk or controller) then
the best thing I've found is to put in some sleep(1) calls.  You can
spread i/o to the point where it's a just a blip here and there vs a
steady work stopping burst.

--
Jon Zeeff    		<zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>
Branch Technology 	<zeeff at b-tech.mi.org>

It's 1989.  Does your software support the ISO 8859 character sets?