Using "getpwent" in SYSV/386

Mike Israel mikei at ctdi.UUCP
Fri Nov 17 06:36:20 AEST 1989

I have a question regarding the use of the "C" function
"getpwent" under AT&T's Unix SYSV/386 Release 3.2.

This particular version of Unix stores encrypted passwords
in a file called /etc/shadow.  The standard /etc/password field
for the encrypted password simply contains an 'x'.  Using
"getpwent" simply retrieves this 'x'.

Is there an existing function to access the encrypted password?

--
Michael A. Israel               ||  uucp: mikei at ctdi.UUCP
                               	||        ...!uunet!cbmvax!ctdi1!ctdi
Communications Test Design Inc.	||
West Chester, PA                ||   I think therefore I am confused.