Another fdisk partition for 386/ix.

Jonathan Meyer jonm at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 00:35:20 AEST 1989

I am sure that many of you have been in this situation at some time or
another:
    When I installed 386/ix, I made a 32MB DOS partition, and left the
    rest of the disk for unix (73MB). Now I find I need a little more
    space for UNIX (of course :-) and so I thought I would reduce the
    size of the DOS partition to 15MB, and use the other 17MB for unix.
    Easy, I thought: backup the DOS partiton, run 386/ix fdisk to create
    two new partitions where once there was only one DOS partiton, use
    DOS format to prepare the new 15MB partition, and use the unix equivelant
    to prepare the new 17MB partition, modify the relevant init files...
    bingo!

But what is the unix equivelant? I can find documentation relating to adding a
new disk, or to modifying the 386/ix partitions (0s1, 0s2 etc), but not to add
a new fdisk partition (0p1, 0p2, etc).

I don't want to have to reformat and repartition the whole disk. Does anyone a
better solution? (can I use mkfsys etc?)

jon

(replies to jonm at uk.ac.sussex.syma please).