Sun 386i question

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Sun Nov 12 05:25:48 AEST 1989

jrj at sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Richard Jones) writes:
>	I would like to know if any of you are running a Sun 386i without using
>	Yellow Pages as a stand-alone, connected to a network.  If so, how did
>	you accomplish this seemingly impossible feat?

Good luck.  I tried but was never able to effectively disable this
function (many things broke if you tried).  No one else I have dealt
with has been able to, either.  Most don't think it's worth the
effort.

It doesn't do any harm to have them running if you're not using a
network.  In fact, since yp uses ndbm instead of sequential files,
it's generally faster than not.  Just make sure you're configured as a
master yp server and don't worry about it.

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd at std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps