Cache performance on 386 boards running Unix

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Oct 26 06:00:34 AEST 1989

In article <416 at ssp2.idca.tds.philips.nl>, pb at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Peter Brouwer) writes:
|  This depends on the size/working set of your applications you use.
|  Most caches are 64k = 16 pages. So if you have large applications with
|  a working set ( number of pages it used during execution ) the cache is'nt
|  a great help.

  Micro caches don't work in 4k pages, so what has this to do with
anything? I suspect you're thinking of mainframe cache which may work
in larger chunks. 4, 16, and 32 byte cache chunks are mentioned by
manufacturers, I think someone used 64 bytes, but I haven't got the
name.

  If anyone has an Intel cache controller spec sheet handy, please
contribute.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon