Mylex SCSI Controller, 16550A UARTS

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 22:00:28 AEST 1989

> Sure, some OPERATING SYSTEMS can't keep up.  That's true of VMS too, you
> know.  386/ix, in particular, is supposed to be a real screamer (we don't
> use it here for completely different reasons related to support).  SCO isn't

Have you done any benchmarks with SCO Unix 3.2?

> quite as fast as the hardware; I'd admit that I have a darn hard time
> getting better than 400KB/sec out of Xenix through the raw I/O interface.
> That is something that needs to be taken up with the software vendor.

What utility are you using to benchmark disk I/O under Xenix?

> Every one of our RLL-based machines can do in the area of 700KB/sec raw I/O.

Using which WD controller?

> If we sell a 386 system with an RLL interface, you can bet we'll guarantee
> that the raw I/O rate, measured with something like CORETEST (gotta define
> the benchmark in order to be meaningful), is from 630-700KB/sec.  ESDI

Every 2372 I've seen bench outs between 650-690KB/sec.  Why the WD over the
2372?

--
Larry Snyder                     uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Site    4 high speed lines (PEP/HST/V96/V.42)