ISC vs SCO UNIX review

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Sat Oct 28 02:49:26 AEST 1989

In article <7125 at ki4pv.uucp> tanner at ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
|In article <5866 at dime.cs.umass.edu>, williams at cs.umass.edu writes:
|) Only SCO includes on-line documentation in the form of man pages.
|Warning: at least with xenix, SCO ship man pages as nroff OUTPUT.

Better than nothing.  I seriously thought about killing someone when I
found that 386/ix didn't have them.  If it wasn't for the SunOS SysV
compatibility and its man pages that were just an ethernet away, I
would have.

Vendors listen up: many of us humble (and not so humble) programmers
loose much productivity while trying to figure out which manual and
which page has the description of [insert seldom-used function here].
You make no friends by stripping this stuff out.  The inclusion of man
pages is one of the very few things that I actually liked about Xenix,
and their loss was number one on my list of things I didn't like about
386/ix.

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd at std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps