MOTIF: The GUI

Dwight Kelly dkelly at npiatl.UUCP
Fri Oct 27 09:20:12 AEST 1989

jonm at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:

>I have read several articles about the imminent arrival of MOTIF to the UNIX
>scene. Does anyone know or have any experience with MOTIF that would like to
>comment on how it compares to other Graphical User interfaces (eg. XView, PM
>etc.). I am interested because we are trying to decide which interface to
>invest our time and money in (of course, we will probably decide to wait and
>see).

>Also, has anyone seen it under 386/ix - who can verify that it works. When
>is it likely to arrive, and for how much.

I am writing this note in a xterm running under Motif's window manager on a 386ix
2.0.2 system.  The video card is an Orchid Prodesigner VGA at 800x600 16 colors.
It looks great and is stable.  I am not using the Motif widgets yet, just mwm.
Motif's 3d look really eats up palette entries (13-14 out of 16)!

Take a look in this month's Byte for an article and picture of Motif on 386ix.

Dwight Kelly
Network Publications, Inc.