Logging in to 386/ix via telnet over, TCP/IP

daniel mocsny dmocsny at uceng.UC.EDU
Thu Oct 5 10:17:02 AEST 1989

I have installed 386/ix version 2.0.1 with TCP/IP on a Compaq
Deskpro 386 with a Western Digital Ethercard Plus. This machine
connects via thin ethernet through assorted bridges, repeaters,
broadband, gateway, etc. to the network at our university and
to the Outside World.

I followed the instructions in the Interactive manuals as well as
I could, did the paperwork with our network administrators (well,
vicariously through a human subordinate) to get an Internet address
and domain name, etc. Now I can ftp and telnet to machines from sea
to shining sea (and some in the purple mountains) right here at
my desk. (Wow!) All I need now is a WORM disk so I can download
EVERYTHING. But I digress.

I now bask in riches, yet my heart cannot rejoice freely. For alas!
Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

I have consulted the sacred texts. I have taken counsel with the
wisest men of my village. I have divined the entrails of a goat.  I
have kept myself from women and strong drink. I have used control-J
instead of carriage return.  Still, the Great UNIX ignores my
supplication. Well, I did have this little episode where a deep
slumber came over me (from reading those sacred texts, don't you
know), and a spectre of some guy in a robe appeared before me saying,
"Appeal to the NET, my son..."

So there you have it. To add to my confusion, I note that my machine
will accept rlogin and ftp to passworded accounts, but it will not
allow regular login to any account, passworded or not. I also have
what I think are the right entries in the /etc/hosts and
/etc/hosts.equiv files.

Wise people of the NET! Come to my aid. I thank you, and the rest of
my goats thank you.

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny at uceng.uc.edu