Boot Problems with 386/ix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Sat Oct 14 12:18:00 AEST 1989

In article <1778 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
> I tried my disk on the machine of a colleague and my diskette and his
> both boot without problems on his machine. But neither of them does
> on mine. I get the message:
> respawnning to fast,
> r0  -sh  .....

At this point I would tend to blame some problem in the hardware, most
probably the floppy drive.  I  would try to clean the heads on your
floppy drive and/or swap drives with one you know is a good one.

> By the way, is there any way to enter the system if the passwd file
> got corrupted? I can login as a user, but the root password is not
> recognized. And remember I can't boot from the floppy disk.

If you cant boot from the floppy, you are out of luck.  That is why I
always boot to single user mode (and I removed the /etc/sulogin program
and replaced it with a link to /bin/sh).