Unix based PC networking

Chris Rende car at trux.UUCP
Tue Oct 3 04:57:56 AEST 1989

We will be implementing a fairly large, multi-server/multi-site network.

Systems to be networked include PC's (>100) and several unix systems (~6).
The PC's need access to file servers, 3270 gateways, and direct access
to other unix systems on the network.

We want a unix-based network OS and are currently looking at Banyan Vines
to run on a 386 box or a Banyan server.

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding Vines or similar products?

Any input regarding Token Ring vs. Ethernet would also be appreciated.

Please reply via E-Mail and I will post a summary.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysV/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek