Cache performance on 386 boards running Unix

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Sat Oct 28 04:27:46 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct27.031800.4938 at ico.isc.com>, rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

|  Some informal experiments we've done suggest that a decent cache does a lot.
|  For example, a cached 25-MHz machine is easily twice as fast as an uncached
|  16-MHz even though the processor is only about 50% faster.

  It really does depend on the machine, not just the speed. For instance
a machine with 2 and 4 way interleave would benefit less from a cache
than one with no interleave, and one with wait states benefits more than
one without. 16MHz is the point at which it is still possible to do 0w/s
with more or less standard memory parts.

  I have done some measurements on normal, interleaved, and 16 bit
memory, and conclude that cache is a huge win as your memory gets
slower, and that 64k will mask the effects of slow memory for many
applications.

  note: I'm note disagreeing, just adding some clarifying information. I
would not buy a 25/33 MHz machine w/o cache, because it adds so little
to the price of the machine as a whole ($200-300).
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon