Cache performance on 386 boards running Unix

David C. Rein dave at mobile.UUCP
Sat Oct 28 01:16:31 AEST 1989

In article <919 at umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, angel at umigw.MIAMI.EDU (angel li) writes:
> Does anyone know the performance difference of 386 boards with a cache
> against boards without a cache, both running Unix?  I would like to
> [stuff deleted]
> Angel Li

Well, I have no performance specs on hand, but having the 386 get its
stuff from 35 ns static RAM instead of 60-80 ns dynamic RAM tells you
something right there.  Also, on the IBM PS/2 Model 70 25Mhz machines,
they found it important enough to give the top 128k to BIOS, so that
it could be cached, instead of accessing ROM.

                                                               Dave Rein
UUCP: ..!kodak!gizzmo!lazlo!\      \/   "It just goes to show what you can do
            mobile!dave            /\         if you're a total psychotic"
Domain: dcr0801 at ultb.isc.rit.edu  /  \           -- Woody Allen