Help! Altos 5.3.1 fork is failing!

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Oct 18 14:47:25 AEST 1989

In article <4219 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm at cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
...>The ONLY solution is to increase swap by either increasing a partition
>or by adding swap with the
>	/etc/swap -a ...
>command.

I used to have the line
	swap -a /dev/dsk/1s2 0 16592
in /etc/rc2.d/S10swap, for automatic installation of extra
swap space on my second drive.  This seemed to work ok... but
if a large enough process was swapped out to actually
make reference to it, I would start to see garbage in the
printout of
	ps -ef
even though the processes in question worked fine.  This is with
uport 386; unfortunately, I cannot recall whether the release was
3.0e or its predecessor.  I concluded that, at least in microport's
implementation, swap -a is unhappy when called with space
on another drive than the primary one.  I finally broke down and
remade my disk partitions.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840