Emacs on 386/ix

Steven H. Izen izen at amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 16 14:24:33 AEST 1989

In article <3439 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> izen at cwru.cwru.edu I wrote:
>A while ago there was a discussion here on getting Emacs built on 386/ix.

>I am currently trying to do this myself.  I had to undef TIOCGETC to keep
>sysdep.c from getting confused by the Xenix hooks in termio.h.  I also had
>to keep various includes from getting included more than once.  Finally, to
>get the thing built, I had to add #include <X11/Xos.h> to x11term.c.

>When the make was finally finished and installed, I tried running it.
>I got a fatal error(10) Bus error-core dumped message.

>Did I miss something?  What am I doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.

Success!!  Ira Baxter and Jim Frost both wrote and told me not to use the
optimizing switch on pcc.  I still had problems.  Then I built emacs telling it
I had no X-windows-  It worked fine!  But I couldn't get it to work under X.
So I bit the bullet and dug through the sources and used sdb to figure out it
was dying on the select() emulation.  A quick check,
nm /usr/lib/libinet.a | grep select
told me that I did have select() so the emulation wasn't needed.  I just
patched up config.h to define HAVE_SELECT and now it worked.

One problem I haven't tracked down yet- emacs seems to be ignoring the
defaults I set for it in .Xdefaults.  Incidentally, this is gnu-emacs 18.54.

Thanks to Ira and Jim for your help
--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve
or steve%izen386.uucp at skybridge.scl.cwru.edu
or izen at cwru.cwru.edu		"My second bike is a car."