System V/386 and NFS

Mark McWiggins mark at intek01.UUCP
Mon Oct 30 10:55:16 AEST 1989

sjm at well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:

>Does anyone use the Sun product PC-NFS for MSDOS machines with a System
>V/386 UNIX machine as the server?  If so, whose UNIX?  Whose NFS?

We did, and don't anymore ... We were running Wollongong's WIN/NFS with
AT&T's System V/386.  Overall I was pretty happy with it, although
documentation was a bit sketchy for a relative network novice like me,
their technical support was pretty good.  There was an annoying bug
that killed files with mismatched group permissions, but nothing we
couldn't work around ...

Then one of our users started using PC-NFS to access the System V/386
filesystem, and we had worse problems: more file corruptions, and eventually
a fairly scrambled root partition.  I eventually reformatted the whole (300MB)
disk, reinstalled from a backup, and turned off NFS.  (We're still using
Wollongong's TCP/IP; it seems fine.)

I'm not absolutely positive NFS trashed my disk, but it does look that way.
We don't really have a critical need for NFS access to this filesystem, so
I'm going to wait for Sys V.4 before trying again.  From what I read, the
AT&T licensing terms are such that their NFS should be bundled in with
the product on that one.

This has been several months ago; Wollongong may well have a new release out
that fixes this by now.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...