File system problems with 386/ix

Joe Bradley gb7 at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Oct 13 04:42:55 AEST 1989

I've started having problems creating tar archives of certain parts of
my file system. It crashes and dumps core while in the middle of creating
any archive. I'm running 386/ix v2.0.1.

This made me suspicious about the integrity of my file system, so I manually
invoked fsck. Well, it complained about a few things which I let it fix
(see below). However, when I invoke fsck again, it again complains about
the same things that it just supposedly fixed. Does anybody have any ideas?
Shouldn't these problems be fixed after running fsck?

  /dev/root
  File System: root Volume: disk0

  ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
  ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
  ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
  ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
  FREE INODE COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLK
  FIX?
  ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
  9003 BLK(S) MISSING
  BAD FREE LIST
  SALVAGE?
  ** Phase 6 - Salvage Free List
  1117 files 22134 blocks 18026 free

  *** ROOT FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ***

--
G.J. (Joe) Bradley, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332

UUCP:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gb7
INTERNET: gb7 at prism.gatech.edu