Logging in to 386/ix via telnet over, TCP/IP

Mr. D. Chakravarty dipto at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Fri Oct 13 13:10:53 AEST 1989

In article <430 at coma.UUCP> reiner at coma.UUCP (Reiner Petersen) writes:
>In article <2316 at uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny at uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
	>distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
	>types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
	>can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

Standard telnet protocol in telnetd uses a file called netlogin, written
to adhere to standard Unix configuration. Logging in, or rather attempting
a log in into a non-standard and/or augmented system with modified /etc/passwd
file confuses the hell out of the protocol.

One has to patch telnetd to make it read the actual password from /etc/shadow
(and /etc/security on RT AIX) so that a graceful login is permitted. Reading
an alphabet 'x' on Release 3.2 and the character '!' on selected AIX systems
thoroughly screws up the Telnet protocol.

Alternatively, a kludge consisting of copying over the password field from
/etc/shadow and/or /etc/security to the standard place in /etc/passwd will
take you around the problem.

Try the second method at first. The former one requiring a patch may be
non-trivial.

--
  dipto at umbc.bitnet  ------\                     /------ !uunet!umbc3!dipto
dipto at umbc3.umbc.edu ------->   In-real-life:   <------- !nerwin!dipto at umbc3