386/ix User-level Performance??

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Sep 23 02:18:13 AEST 1989

In article <9273 at attctc.Dallas.TX.US> cassidy at attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Cassidy Lynar) writes:
|In article <6750 at stiatl.UUCP> john at stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:
|Com2 is pre-configured and works without re-configuring the kernel in 2.0.2. I cannot speak for earlier
|releases however.

You are mistaken.  You must hand-enable it and rebuild the kernel.  I
did this yesterday after a full install, so I'm pretty sure about that.

|	The manuals provided for X-windows are execellent. Two thick manuals fordevelopment and one for users. I have found them to be as good as those printed
|by MIT.

The *programming* manuals for X11 are good, but they weren't written
by ISC.  The installation manual is quite poor, even forgetting some
obvious things like which of the X11 disk sets needs to be first,
second, then third.  There is also no mention of the problems in using
a two-button mouse (most X software assumes three), nor does it
mention that xrdb doesn't work unless you have the development package
(/usr/lib/cpp, anyone?).

Lest you think I'm terribly unhappy with ISC, I'm not.  The system
*works*, albeit with some effort, unlike the Sun 386i did when I first
got it.  I do really miss the megapixel display of the 386i, though.

jim frost
madd at std.com