Xenix vs. Unix?

Matthew Thurmaier thurm at shorty.CS.WISC.EDU
Tue Sep 12 12:28:32 AEST 1989

In article <315 at bilver.UUCP> (Bill Vermillion) writes:

> I have had success with the Maynard units.  They install right, first time
> every time.  And run right.  The only thing I have found is that sometimes it
> didn't like to take the tar command the first time.  So I just made a scripts
> that issued "mtape reset" as the first line, sleep a few seconds, and then
> generate the tar command.  Users fire it off by logging in as "tape".
> Perhaps you could explain to me/the-net what their problems are.  I am using
> them under 2.2.3 on '286 machines, and 2.2.3 on IBM 80's.
>
> Now one item in defense of Irwin.  They have always had the best magician
> demonstrating their product at trade shows. :-)
> --
> Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
>                       : bill at bilver.UUCP

Bill, I appreciate your humor.  However, I have yet to get a maynard drive
to work on a system with a digiboard 8-port smart mux.  Granted I never
called their support, their problems seemed to be too much of a hassle
for me to deal with at the time.  They had already earned themselves a
bad rep. w/ me when they admitted (after 6 months of phoning their support
people) FINALLY that their driver interfeared with the Excellan driver in
a xenix machine and that therefore we couldn't use their drive and xenix-net
/ Excellan products simultaneously.  GREAT.

Also, NO ONE should have to do a reset of their tape drive every time they
use it.  That is not WORKING in my book.  But if it works for you... great.

Matthew.
Snail Mail:                                 E Mail:
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...!{allegra,harvard,seismo}!shorty!matt
The Computer Classroom              matt at shorty.cs.wisc.edu
6701 Seybold Road, Ste. 122
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 271-2171
                                  "why am I ALWAYS going somewhere?" >>-matt-->