Interactive 386 and PC-Server Module

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Sun Apr 8 14:49:31 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Apr7.025820.29699 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, by karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger):
> In article <1990Apr6.174231.2758 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>>
>>How does PC-Interface compare to PC-NFS with ISC's TCP/IP & NFS ?
>
> PC-NFS takes more memory on the DOS machine, and can't access pipe files.
> Thus, no "fast" printer support like we have built for PCI.
>
> Also, I have heard (but not confirmed) that PC-NFS doesn't get along with MS
> Windows, which would be a killer.  We >need< that in order to do our desktop
> publishing.
>
> Lastly, PC-NFS is only available from SUN, not ISC.  I hate getting in
> finger-pointing battles, and would prefer to buy the software from one
> source so I can complain to one place when it doesn't work.

    Yeah! So if every buys software and hardware from Karl we can all
call him and complain to him. :-) It would be nice if there was another
source for PC-NFS just as a second source. Some companies absoulutely
require this before buying a product. Dosn't FTP Accociates have a
PC-NFS product?

  I don't know, I'm useing Windows and NFS on ESIX and it's working.
I had problems with certain disk controllers at one time. Some RLL
controllers are not compatible.  But than again if there where some
reasonable cost effective desktop publishing software for UNIX  I
wouldn't need PC-NFS. But in the interim Sun's product dosn't seem
that bad.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400