Unix 386 3.2, DOS, & TCP/IP

Doug Lucy dlucy at tropez.UUCP
Thu Apr 12 11:30:56 AEST 1990

We're getting ready to develop some s/w for a client using a mix
of PC's, Novell Netware on Lattisnet, and a NCR Tower running Unix
r2 with TCP/IP.

To simulate this enviroment (hah) we're putting the programmers on PC's
connected via thin ethernet to a 386 running *nix 386. Now the question
comes as to which TCP/IP and which TELNET and which RLOGIN (I am using
this terms right?)

Anyways, here's the real questions:

	For the PC, we'll be using DOS 3.3 and/or Windows/286
	with Western Digital WD8003E cards. What software should be
	used? (It'd be nice if it's PD)

	For the Unix box, we've got an idle (hah) 386-25 with
	SCO Xenix 2.3.2. We can also use AT&T Unix V/386 3.2, if
	thats better. Again with the WD8003E and again which
	software package should we buy? (There MUST be a PD TCP/IP
	for this OS somewhere)

	For communicating (at the application level) between
	host and remote, what libraries exist for sending messages?
	Or should a RFS pipe/file message system be used? Is this
	where STREAMS comes in?

	Is the WD8003E card going to drag the 386 way down? Can
	the card even be used in the server?

Thanks much.
--
   "It's such a fine line between stupid..."    | Doug Lucy  703.820.3922
   "...and stupid."                             | DC Pro, Falls Church, VA