ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP & NFS crashes absolutely ALL THE TIME!

e c andrews eeandrew at cybaswan.UUCP
Thu Aug 9 05:58:47 AEST 1990

In article <797 at hades.ausonics.oz.au> greyham at hades.ausonics.oz.au (Greyham Stoney) writes:
>We are having SEVERE problems with our machine crashing and hanging several
>times a day running host based TCP/IP 1.1.1 and NFS 2.0 under 386/ix 2.0.2.
>
>We get the "NFS server not responding" message very frequently; sometimes it

This is normal if the server is busy,....

But if you try 'netstat 1' on the server + get an error message every line,
it's because your nfs has died again so either reset it (init 2,sleep 60,init 3)
which sometimes works, or reboot. Eventually I knocked up a script to check
the NFS every 30 secs and reset it automatically if it was dead. We were
still rebooting once in a while anyway because it sometimes panics the machine.

Yes, the NFS is a load of crap. The new version of NFS (that comes with
ISC 2.2) improves life (even with ISC2.0.2), but it still has a tendancy to
die every hour or so if you're using it heavily (Beats the 5 minutes of life
we had before though).

I think the only way to get any use out of the NFS is to manually ensure that
you don't have more than 1 or 2 'serious' jobs trying to use it at once.
Dropping a core on an NFS'ed disk zaps the server every time.

I'm amazed that nobody seems to have noticed how pathetic the NFS is.
I suppose people tend to just NFS executables, home directories, etc and
not actually USE the nfs. How can Interactive get away with selling this?

Eddy Andrews-: eeandrew at .pyr.swan.ac.uk     UUCP: ..!ukc!cybaswan.UUCP!eeandrew