OS costs

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Thu Aug 30 13:23:04 AEST 1990

>The trouble with this thinking is that the numbers for 386 UNIX systems
>don't yet work right for a commodity market.  Obviously, one important
>number is quantity; [...]

Don't forget; the selling price of the OS could have a lot to do with
demand and hence quantity.  Especially in a market where the software
is currently approaching the cost of the hardware.

Guessing the optimal price is perhaps a marketeers most difficult job.
But there's always the possibility that if you reduce your price by 50%
you'll increase your sales by 200%.  With no way to prove it except to
try it.

It is my distinct impression that ISC and SCO are erroring on the high side.

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com