2 hardrives of different interfaces allowed to coexist?

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver
Wed Aug 22 16:12:23 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Aug21.235008.13039 at ico.isc.com>, by rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn):
> One thing to keep in mind about IDE:  The interface matches that of a
> primary disk controller on the AT bus, and you get a max of two IDE
> drives.  After that, to add more disks you'd have to add them on a
> "secondary" AT-style controller (standard or ESDI) or SCSI.

 Ahh, somebody mentioned the magic word "secondary" controller. Has anyone
ever tested this setup. Say with the second disk controller on interupt 15?
ISC? ESIX? or SCO UNIX?  I have run some disk bench tests on a Conner and
Maxtor IDE drive (under ESIX) and I would perfer to go the IDE over SCSI.
It seems to be a better cost performance ratio. I wouldn't mind moveing my
ESDI drives over to the secondary controller but I'm not sure how to set
this up. What's more amazeing is in the ATT manuals they reference a
secondary controller (or at least reference to the device names) but
I cannot find any setup info?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400