ANSI C for ISC UNIX?

William Miskovetz misko at abhg.UUCP
Wed Aug 22 07:21:23 AEST 1990

A few days ago I posted asking if anyone knew if the ISC 2.2 SDS
came with LPI C as I was looking for an ANSI C compiler.  I
received many responses.  From these responses I've determined two
things:

  1. LPI C is now included in ISC's SDS.  Don't let ISC sales tell
     you different.  And tell your distributors.  I need to tell mine.

  2. Everyone who has LPI C that replied to me either doesn't use it
     or claims that it doesn't work.  Everyone else suggests that I
     get GNU C and build it which is what I did.  GNU C and GNU gdb
     compile and run just fine.  My /usr/include files needed a
     little tweaking, but that's not too bad.  I use GNU C with
     ISC's 'as' and 'ld'.  A week or so ago someone posted all the
     necessary diffs for gas and gld, but I'm happy with what I have.

Thanks to all those that responded.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
misko at mathworks.com
abhg!misko at lll-winken.llnl.gov

As an aside, I wanted an ANSI C compiler to build gnuchess 3.1 which
requires an ANSI compiler.  GNU C built it with a few tweaks here and
there.  The -traditional switch might have helped, but I'm stubborn.
gnuchess works fine with xchess that came with ISC X 1.0.  Is it
only me or did xchess not come with ISC X 1.1?  And is ISC X 1.2
available yet?