Altos 5000

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Tue Aug 28 03:13:47 AEST 1990

ti at altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan) writes, among other hype:

| The point is that we have anticipated a need for high performance I/O
| subsystems in a large UNIX implementation, and this requires not only
| speedy hardware, but highly-tuned software designed to squeeze every
| bit of performance out of them.  You are *not* going to get that with
| any "generic" 386 UNIX products (SCO, Interactive, et. al.) which were
| designed to run on some "generic" PC hardware.  Moreover, companies
| like SCO and Interactive can't possibly provide the kind of software
| reliability that we could, given that we has so finely-tuned our
| software specifically for our hardware platform...

This is an unjustified slam at "SCO, Interactive, et. al."  It may be
possible to give an unwitting customer this sort of hype, but I don't think
it will go over in this newsgroup.  There is no factual support provided
for the claims, so I think we have to treat them as what they are: clever
marketing.  Sorry; I won't take that bait, especially since other folks
have picked up on some issues of technical substance (like disk mirroring)
that belong here.  Please advertise elsewhere.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.