ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP & NFS crashes an awful lot!

Greyham Stoney greyham at hades.ausonics.oz.au
Wed Aug 8 09:44:27 AEST 1990

We are having SEVERE problems with our machine crashing and hanging several
times a day running host based TCP/IP 1.1.1 and NFS 2.0 under 386/ix 2.0.2.

We get the "NFS server not responding" message very frequently; sometimes it
recovers by itself, but much more often it dies completely and any process
accessing a remote mount point will hang permenantly.

Once hung, you can't shut down because it can't unmount the remote stuff,
and if you fool it into not trying, you get a kernel panic before it unmounts
the local stuff.

We have a Bell Technologies MPE 386 with Western Digital EtherCardPLUS
ethernet boards, and although it works fine under light load (never crashes
overnight for instance), it keels over when heavily loaded.

Has anyone else noticed problems with their NFS & TCP/IP under 386/ix?.
Are these problems fixed in later releases of any of the software?. If so,
which ones?. Is there an infamous X disk to fix this?.

Our current relevant packages are:

bn	  Basic Networking-Version 2.0.0
hb	  Host-Based TCP Ethernet Support-Version 1.1.1
kc	  Kernel Configuration-Version 2.0.2
nf	  386/ix NFS-Version 2.0
st	  STREAMS Facilities-Version 2.0.0

		Better go quick before it crashes again...... :-(
							Greyham.

ps: email me a copy if you post a reply please.
ps: I feel a little calmer now.....
--
/*  Greyham Stoney:                            Australia: (02) 428 6476
 *  greyham at hades.ausonics.oz.au - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove, Sydney, Oz.