ISC asy/floppy drivers still broken? (was: LPI C review)

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Mon Aug 27 02:58:34 AEST 1990

In article <2050 at jwt.UUCP> you write:
>Does ISC *still* not have a working asy driver or usable floppy driver?

ISC finally cleaned up the asy driver in the X5 update to 386/ix 2.0.x.
The throughput is OK, particularly if you have a 16550 FIFO serial chip.
It has separate /dev/ttyN and /dev/acuN special files so that dialing in
and out on the same line is locked in the kernel without having to fool
around with uugetty.  I have an internal Telebit modem that I upgraded to
a 16550 and get respectable uucp throughput above 1100 cps.

The 2.2 floppy driver isn't superb but it is at least reasonable.  Disk
throughput under vp/ix is great, it apparently reads and writes full tracks
on the raw disk.  The driver also makes a respectable try at determining the
density of a disk when you open it.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl