getty hangs up modem line

Steve Ward stevewa at upvax.UUCP
Thu Aug 30 06:24:16 AEST 1990

In article <85 at usun01.UUCP> hoepfner at usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) writes:
>Everytime I get an incomming call via phone, the modem picks up the
>line and immediately drops it again ! I tried several gettydefs
>configurations, but always with the same problem, so the other
>host is not able to poll my 386/IX System.

Check your modem configuration settings...

My guess is you have the modem configured to return result codes.  When
the phone rings, the modem sends "RING" to the serial port.  By the time the
modem seizes the line, the computer is thouroughly confused, and tells the
modem to drop the line (by lowering DTR).

On my ATI 2400 baud modem, ATQ2 is the command that allows you to turn off
the result codes in answer mode, and still have them in originate mode.

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa at upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |