X11R4 and release 2.2 (SysV/4) for ISC 386/ix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Feb 24 08:00:52 AEST 1990

In article <2253 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> jonm at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:
>Does anyone know when these two dilectable items will be released from
>interactive?

I don't have any real info, however I just thought I would point out that
release 2.2 is not SysV.4.  It is System V.3.2 with some additional fixes
and enhancments (including on-line manual pages and a bindered manual as
opposed to the paperback junk (at least that was the rumours that I heard)) .

486/ix (probably release 1.0) is the name for the System V.4 product and from
what I understand is not allowed to be released until AT&T releases thier
own product.

> It shouldn't take too long to get an R4 server up -

Maybe,   if you only had to support one configuration.  Interactive is bound
to support most, if not all, of the currently supported X displays or else
it will loose alot of customers.  So the project will take considerably
more time than you think (especially when you add in testing/debugging,
beta testing, packaging, manuals & printing, cutting the distribution floppies,
etc, etc).

Putting out a product is never as simple as it seems.