Where can I order a hard disk (besides Hard Drives International)

Bill Kennedy bill at inebriae.UUCP
Tue Feb 13 11:44:52 AEST 1990

In article <3320002 at hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo at hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>In comp.unix.i386, mattioli at took.dec.com (John R. Mattioli) writes:
>

>> 	I've now placed two orders with HDI and I've had two problems.
[ problems with Hard Drives International ... ]

>     Interesting.  I, too, would like to know the name of a good
>company.  I'm thinking of putting together a lunchbox 386 PC, and I'm
>looking for a good source of half-height 300MB SCSI or ESDI drives.

I wasn't going to post, but there has been enough conversation about it and
Darryl is putting together a luggable, so here goes.  I have had excellent
luck dealing with:

Storage System Engineering Services
3350 Scott Boulevard #1902
Santa Clara, CA  95054     (408) 727-6040

I have no affiliation with them other than having spent several thousands of
dollars in their store and via mail order.  I used to deal with Eric, the
principal (I think) but haven't talked to him in nearly a year.  I have
recently been dealing with Gloria.  She sounds like an airhead on the phone,
but when I needed 4Mb of 80ns column static RAM chips for my old Micronics,
she rounded 'em up and had them in UPS Red the same day.  They were the right
parts even though a different manufacturer and part number than I ordered.
I've bought a lot of stuff from Eric and gotten some pretty good advice as
well (like don't buy his EGA luggable).  He's no UNIX buff, but knows his
products and his vendors.  He is the local distributor for a rather complete
line of cases for portables and desktop machines.  He's price competitive
although not the least expensive.  I generally spend a little more when I
want the reliability.  He'll haggle a little, but not much.  If you tell him
you can get it for $10 less at Fry's, he sends you to Fry's.  'nuff said.
--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill at ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill