ESIX X in rev. B and C: to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Phillip Lee phil at lindy.Stanford.EDU
Wed Feb 21 05:53:07 AEST 1990

In article <98 at caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, cjeffery at cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:

> Recent weeks have seen plenty of discussion about X on SysV/386.
> I have ESIX rev. B and what I would really like to know is whether
> the rev. C X windows are measurably faster in either color or mono
> on a VGA.  I tried calling them for upgrade info, but got an
> answering machine (I should try harder).

	Before I purchase ESIX rev C I had a chance to work on rev B and
believe me it is very very very... slow.  You probably know exactly what
I mean.  Anyway I have rev C know and X11 is very very ver ... fast relative
to rev B.  It is still a little slow than the Interactive X11 but for the
price you paid on ESIX it is definitely worth the money.  To give you
an idea of the speed, some one told me that ESIX rev C X11 running on 386-25
is roughly the same speed as a SUN 3/50 or 3/60 ( I forgot which one!!).
You need at least 4meg RAM but it is better to have 8meg.
	I think the upgrade is $99 and you can call Bill Gitow at System 5
and his number is 408-866-0343 and tell him I refer you to him.  BTW
I do not get any commission for this.  He is a nice and pleasant guy to deal
with.