uugetty under ISC 2.02

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Feb 26 00:24:58 AEST 1990

In article <1008 at iitwest.iit.edu> vrona at iitwest.iit.edu (Dave Veona) writes:

>I am having a problem with uugetty under ISC UNIX 2.02.  Once in a while
>the transmit and receive lights on my modem glow continuously.  To quote
>someone in this newsgroup, "the computer is having a shouting match with
>the modem".
>
>What is going on here?  This happens when someone is calling in, not when I
>dial out.  I have vanilla serial ports with no special drivers, but I do have
>16550AN chips.  Modem is a Practical Peripherals 2400 with MNP.

Your modem is probably reporting "RING" when it hears the ring and then
starts to go off hook to answer the line.  uugetty gets the "RING" and
thinking someone is logging in echos the "RING" which 1. causes the modem
to drop the line and 2. will usually start a shouting match as the
modem says something like "RING - illegal command".

The fix for this is to do one of the following:

	1. set your modem so that it does not say "RING"

or a better solution is to:

	2. use the tty line that has modem controls enabled so that uugetty
	   will not see anything until carrier is high.