sharing modem and fax on 1 line

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Fri Feb 23 04:43:44 AEST 1990

In article <25e307cd-3b6comp.unix.i386 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> akcs.richie at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Richard Schwarzbach) writes:
>sharing of a single phone line between a FAX and a MODEM.  A shareware
>program exists in DOS which accomplishes this as follows:
>
>To contact the MODEM, dial in, allow 1 ring, hangup. Redialin within 1 min
>and the MODEM answers. Otherwise the MODEM ignores anf the FAX can pick up
>on subsequent rings.

There is actually a device which will handle this transparently to the
user.  When the phone rings, it puts the line off hook but continues
to send the ring tone so that it seems like the phone is still ringing.
It then tries to do FAX handshaking.  If successful it connects to the
FAX line otherwise it connects to the modem line (or voice I suppose)
and the fake ringing stops.

Unfortuanately I can't recall the name of the device or the manufacturer.
Does anyone know of this?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.