unlimited vs. 1-2 users

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Sun Feb 4 07:27:53 AEST 1990

In article <983 at fiver.UUCP> palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <=.F1X5Gxds13 at ficc.uu.net>, by peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
>> In article <131010 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>>> I hate to say it :-) but what did you expect of Dimitri (Former CEO
>>> of Bell Tech)?
>>
>> I seem to recall you baching Dmitri Rotow before, but assumed that it
>> was because you were at Microport. Could you explain now what precisely
>> you have against the man?
>
>  I can't speak for John, but if there was any truth that they did
>hardware changes to their tape drive so that it only works with
>there driver software, it enough to put him at the bottom of the

As much as I hate to defend Dimitri (he can defend himself well enough)...
Bell Tech 's driver software only worked with the Bell Tech Hardware.
The hardware works fine with other driver software (minor reconfiguration
may be required).

While Bell Tech apparantly did make subtle changes to the Everex controller
card and drive addressing, it was so that their software could recognize
when it was being used with a Bell Tech controller. This prevented people
from buying the hardware from other sources and using Bell Tech's driver
software (ie pirating the software).

These changes *DID*NOT* prevent the hardware from being used with other
driver software (for example SCO Xenix). I ran mine that way for a year.
I'm still using the drive with an Archive controller card (easier to use
internal with the Archive card, Everex card was for external installation).

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)