vi: Tmp file too large - ULIMIT?

Randall J. Davis rjd at dell.dell.com
Sat Feb 10 06:44:34 AEST 1990

In article <131448 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
|have fixed size tables (for line pointers...).  This effectively
|limits you to "small" files (less than some number of lines) In the
|Microport Vr3 386 case I was hitting the limit at less than 300k for
|normal C source files.

   Best I can remember from looking at the source a while back, it is limited
by number of characters in the swapping version, not number of lines.  The limit
is normally 256k bytes.  It has a predefined #define that you can employ to
bump it up to double that value at compile time.

Randy Davis						UUCP: dell.dell.com!rjd